"Be yourself, who else is better qualified." - Frank J. Giblin
TFSS offers individual support for families facing more difficult issues. Our service values diversity, and welcomes families and young people of all cultural backgrounds. Our services are available for parents and carers of dependent children aged 0-12, to assist with early intervention issues including parenting support, maintaining accommodation, and basic budgeting skills.
We provide support and advice, advocacy, information, referrals to other services and home visits in Tamworth.
- Individual support for your family, focused on the particular issues you have identified
- Accredited parenting programs: Triple P, 123 Magic and Emotion Coaching. Keeping Children Safe and Engaging Adolescents
- Skills Development Programs
- Advice, referral and information
What we believe...
We believe that all parents want their children to grow up to be good citizens with healthy self esteem and resilience. As we work with families we are informed by these core values:
- All people have the right to participate in decision making about their lives, the services they receive and their community.
- All people must be treated with respect, honesty and empathy.
- Open, inclusive and socially just communities are vital to the wellbeing of all families.
We are committed to...
- Providing a respectful, safe and welcoming environment for people of all cultures and backgrounds.
- Providing services appropriate to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in consultation with them and Aboriginal agencies.
- Empowering families to facilitate and sustain positive change, and helping them to help themselves.
Parenting Programs and Groups
Our group work programs are open to anyone wishing to attend; our service welcomes families and young people of all cultural backgrounds. All programs are free and are run at our centre at 62 Gunnedah Road, unless stated otherwise. Certificates are awarded upon completion of a course. Free child care and transport are available, and refreshments are provided.
The Family Services team provide many group programs, these include:
Triple P Parenting
Triple P is a program to assist parents with strategies to manage childhood behaviour problems. This program helps develop positive and caring parent/child relationships, with strategies for dealing with common behavioural and developmental issues.
A simple, easy to use program to manage difficult behaviour and improve your relationship with your child. The program provides you with tools for disciplining your child without the yelling, arguing, or spanking and for parenting the obnoxious behaviours in a peaceful manner. For parents with children 2-12 years.
Adolescence can be a challenging time for parents and young people. Learn new skills for communicating with your child, strengthening your relationship and dealing with tough conversations for handling those problems you just can’t ignore. For parents with children aged 12-17 years.
Keeping Kids Safe
A 5 week program that offers tips for raising happy children, and creating a safe environment for your child. Other topics include how to keep your child safe from abuse, and the effects of abuse on children.
Healthy Home, Happy Family
Learn tips to keep the kids amused at our one off craft and play sessions, or participate in longer programs covering issues such as budgeting, health and safety, home organisation, nutrition and exercise and
The Incredible Years
A 8 week program that aims to prevent and treat young children’s behaviour problems and promote their social, emotional & academic skills.
Managing Angry Adolescent Differently (MAAD)
A 4 week program offered to the parents and carers of angry adolescents, providing the skills to understand and redirect their anger.
Click here to visit our web calendar to view upcoming group events