Tamworth Youth Homelessness and Housing Support (TYHHS)
Currently offered in these postcode areas: 2340.
Our team supports young people aged between 16 and 24 years old who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. This support is provided through early intervention programs, transitional housing, and refuge accommodation. We can help support access to employment, education, health, legal, community and cultural support.
You do not have to live in a Youth Refuge to receive help.
Our staff support young people build capacity to live independently and sustain a tenancy. This includes:
- Supporting access to safe and secure accommodation.
- Supporting education and employment pathways.
- Develop sound financial management and living skils.
- Advice with family relationship breakdowns, and access to a mediator.
- Most young people that we work with are staying with friends, also known as couch surfing.
- A small percentage of people we work with are considered rough sleepers.
- You do not have to live in a Youth Refuge to receive help.
- Most young people face challenges in getting a rental due to age, low income and lack of experience in the housing market.
We operate four youth transitional properties that provide supported independent living options, helping young people acquire a rental history and references. Each property is furnished. Most tenancies in the property are around three months.
Youth Refuge Accommodation
Safe and secure emergency accommodation for young people. The facility is staffed 24 hours per day, with five bedrooms and two bathrooms. Each resident of the Youth Refuge is provided the same opportunities as those in Outreach Support.
Early Intervention Program
- Set Up Set Out: A school program helping teach the value of living skills.
- Rent It Keep It: A short course for tenants in private rentals and social housing properties, providing advice on how to maintain a rental property, your legal rights and responsibilities as a tenant, and keeping your house clean on a budget.
- Rent Choice Youth: A program to help support young people get safe and secure accommodation.
For accommodation support, contact: